Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fun With Numbers

I wonder if the number 27 is my new lucky number. Good things happen for me on the 27th of months.

For example...

On May 27th of last year, I received a career-changing email from my now-agent, Jonathan Lyons, offering representation (a year ago today, which just makes me grin).

On January 27th of this year, I first received word of German interest in my books. A deal was made not long after.

And on October 27th of this year, THREE DAYS TO DEAD releases into the wild, exactly one year and five months after the representation offer.

I think I like the number 27.

Five more months until TDTD is out. *looks at calendar*

Holy crap, when did June get so close?

*boggles*

2 comments:

Bill Barnett said...

That's so cool, Kelly!

Quick question: If you were to write a short story that you really wanted to see published, are you required to go through your agent? (I mean, I can't imagine having an agent and NOT going through them if given the option, but I don't know for sure.)

How does that work?

:)

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Hi Bill. Well, I wasn't all together positive of the answer to your question, so I asked my agent. Here's what he had to say:

It varies. In my case, I definitely want to hear about any short stories a client has in advance. If placing serial rights will advance the sale of a full length book (for example, one story from a proposed collection) or is somehow tied in to a book I’ve already placed on the client’s behalf, then I’ll probably want to submit on my client’s behalf or help guide my client. However, if my client regularly sells short stories as part of their writing career and it’s not tied in to a full collection or a work I’ve already placed, I’ll probably not get involved. I’ll still want to know about it though. So it probably varies a bit by agent, but this is one perspective. :)