Friday, February 20, 2009

Pre-Orders, Release Dates, and Galley Proofs, OH MY!

Good grief, it's windy outside today. It's been gusting since last night, and my bedroom sticks off the side of the house with three exposed sides, so it's a bit like sleeping in a car with the window down (sans the comforting, rocking motion).

I've been stupidly quiet on the blog lately, and for that I apologize. I received a super-cool package in the mail two Fridays ago, and inside of it was the galley proof pages for THREE DAYS TO DEAD. Galley proofs, for those who don't know, are pages that show you how the book will eventually look in proper paperback format. Everything is laid out, from the dedication to title pages, all of the chapters, all the way to the very end. It's wicked cool being able to see how this story will look as an actual book.

But besides oggling the pretty pages, I had to sit down and carefully read it over. Why? Last chance to change anything. Last chance to find any little misspellings or extra punctuation, last chance to make sure that yes, Character A's eyes are, indeed, green. Phew. Now that that's done and off to my editor's assistant, I can get back to tackling agent revisions on AS LIE THE DEAD.

Wait! There's more!

The galley proofs also came with two more awesome things: a release date and an ISBN.

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE: OCTOBER 27, 2009!!!!!!!!!!

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!

What's an ISBN you may ask (although I'm sure most of you know)? It's a unique tracking number given to all commercially produced books as a way to identify them. And ever since I discovered this awesome little code, I've found TDTD available for pre-order in a plethora of places: Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk., Chapters.indigo.ca., Random House, Inc., RandomHouse.ca., Target.com, and Amazon.ca. It's still eight months away, so there isn't a lot of information on those sites yet (cover, blurb, etc...), but more is forthcoming.

If you still don't know what the heck TDTD is about, check out my website for more info. :)

5 comments:

Bill Barnett said...

"Thank You! Your 1-click® order has been placed."

And just like that, my copy of THREE DAY TO DEAD is pre-ordered with Amazon! I can't wait to read it.

I am so excited for you, Kelly! You must be on such a high!

(When will they let you give us a sneak peek at the cover art?)

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

YAY!!! Thanks, Bill!

Hopefully you guys will get a sneak peek at the cover after I do. :) Haven't seen it yet and I'm on pins-n-needles waiting. The title page is cool, with a contrast of a city skyline.

Is it October yet? *g*

Aleta said...

Hi, Kelly,
Wow--what exciting news! Chris King passed on your website info. I can't wait to read the book!
I am still working (unlike Chris, the lucky girl), and while I am not directing the productions anymore, I do have a small part in Grease (Rachel's part back in '92), so I have been enjoying the rehearsal process. Currently I work with professional development and curriculum for the district.
I think we need to have the school paper do an article about the novel (I miss the Viking Ventures work too!).
Take care.
Aleta

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Ms. Thompson! Wow, it's been a long time! Congrats on the part in Grease. That's really neat. *g*

An article in the VV would be really cool. Chris King has my private email, but I can also be reached at mail(at)kellymeding.com.

alanajoli said...

I have it on my amazon wish list... but I'm a B&N girl, so I'll preorder it when it's up there. :)