Thursday, October 30, 2008

Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Six Hundred Minutes....

Nope, not a RENT post, but definitely about a year in the life.

In October of last year, I finished the first draft of a book about a bounty hunter named Evy Stone. I had a hell of a time coming up with a title for that book. I started with Marionette, then changed it to Dark City. Neither really worked, but I went with it for a while. I did a hard edit. My betas sank their teeth into it. I got feedback on my query, and I was off to the races (and everyone knows this story has a happy ending).

The point is that one year ago, October 2007, when I was typing THE END on what is now "Three Days to Dead," I never imagined what I'd be doing in October 2008 -- receiving fully executed contracts for the publication of two novels, my advance, and turning in my final edited draft to my editor (plus all the other neat perks, like guest blogging and setting up a website).

I'm starting to love October.

4 comments:

Bill Barnett said...

Hi, Kelly! Yeah, it sounds like October is your month. Very cool!

Let me ask you something. (And if you've addressed this somewhere else on here, please forgive me.) Did you get a lot of input from your agent and/or editor about the final title for Three Days To Dead?

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

I didn't, actually. My first small batch of queries when out with the title DARK CITY, but some online friends said it sounded a bit generic (plus, you know, there's that movie...).

I came up with it by making lists of words and themes, and then got feedback from those same friends. So far, I haven't gotten any editorial feedback on changing it, but that doesn't mean it won't. :)

Jonathan Lyons said...

Well, your agent loved the title.

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

*g*

I am noticing, though, that when people ask and I have to say it out loud, I usually have to repeat it (at least once). Maybe it's my accent. Makes me sound like I'm saying "three days today." ;)