Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Buffy Sort of Day

Something put Buffy on my brain yesterday, and I honestly can't remember where she came from. But I had a day off today, so I decided to start watching my DVD's of . From season one. It's like revisiting old friends. Innocent Willow, dorky Xander, over-stuffed Giles, and Buffy when she still had a figure.

With the episodes on in the background, I continued to surf the 'Net, and I came across an interview with Buffy-creator on the Wizard Entertainment website. It's a fun interview that covers the gamut of Joss's various professional endevours (TV, movies, comic books, etc...).

I wanted to share this particular section, because it sounds like something I'd buy.


BENDIS: [Laughs] Oh, speaking of, I saw on the board tonight they announced the new Buffy comic. You’re gonna write a new Buffy comic?

WHEDON: I am, in fact. This was originally a concept that was designed to tie in to some Buffy movies that are probably not going to happen. So now the comic is out there twisting in the wind by itself. But I have this arc; this concept of what I refer to as “Season 8” of “Buffy,” which is the “What happens next?” Although it’s very much more comic book in scale and style and time frame. Everyone’s like, “What week will it pick up during?” And I’m like, “It’s not quite like that.” What I’m doing is working with Georges Jeanty. He’s gonna be drawing the first four, which I’m writing. And Jo Chen’s gonna do the covers. I’m a huge fan of hers. I have this arc laid out which I’m sort of writing up as where I want the series to go and then I’m gonna be bringing in anybody from the camp or any of our friends who have the time to do arcs within that. Just sort of servicing certain beats and then going off on their own. Because at this point, it’s sort of fair game. There are certain characters I’ve been saving because I thought I might make movies about them, but that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

BENDIS: Why isn’t that going to happen?

WHEDON: I think money is standing in the way. What is ever in the way? What ever makes anything happen or not happen?


I'd love to see this comic come to fruition (even if I still hold out hope for a "Spike" TV movie).

2 comments:

Kappa no He said...

I left the states right when that series started. Yesterday I read a blog by some lady who talked about how honestly good it was. I am seriously thinking about investing in the DVDs. A little at a time. And is Spike that really good-looking white-haired dude? (I am afraid I only know Buffy for sure).

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Hi! Sorry it took me so long to respond to your comments. Yes, Spike is the hunky, bleach-blonde Brit. ::swoon::