Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Whole, White World

Based on the little Mini Pinscher trying to bound through the snow outside, I'm guessing we've got about six inches on the ground. Not too shabby for eighteen hours of snowfall. It took three hours before anything really stuck. The ground was too warm. Now the trees look like the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man exploded all over them, with blobs of white occasionally plopping to the ground.

A cluster of tall pines grow outside my second-story window. The weight of the snow made one of the long branches bend over. Last night I watched it move progressively closer to my window ledge. When I went to bed around 2 a.m., it was swaying in the wind, and resembled a brontosaurus peeping into my window. Drove my cat Hannah nuts. She tried to swat it through the glass multiple times. It is now adhered to the ledge, forming a queer tree bridge (the branch, not the cat).

The cats (did I mention that I have two?) are less amused now that the flakes have stopped falling. I have to wonder just what they think of snow. Millions of little white things falling from the sky.

I watched an odd movie today called Falling Down (1993), with Robert Duvall, Michael Douglas, and Barbara Hershey. It's an interesting character study about violent behavior, and the things that drive us to do the unimaginable. I recommend it for viewing, but it wasn't one I'd buy for keeps.

I need to get some work done. I have a store meeting to attend, before the resolution to last week's Grey's Anatomy episode. I can't wait!

No comments: